Relaxing Tours to Exhilarating Slide Descents…
Adirondack backcountry skiing is catching on like wildfire! More and more skiers are leaving the centers and heading for the solitude that can only be found in the wilderness. From relaxing tours over wooded trails to exhilarating slide descents, skiing the Adirondack backcountry offers a variety of experiences that are truly unique.
To get started, one needs to decide what type of terrain they wish to ski. Hiring a guide for a wilderness ski tour is an excellent way for a beginner/family to get introduced to the sport. Gear can be rented and while prior cross country experience is advantageous, it’s not required. For those with downhill experience wishing to learn how to safely ski steeper backcountry terrain (mountain trails or slides), hiring a guide also makes sense. Guides know the terrain, conditions and techniques necessary for an efficient, fun, backcountry day.
If remotely interested, give us a call. We’ll answer your questions and help you get started…
Examples of our most requested outings are:
- Marcy Dam – A great first time backcountry tour appropriate for individuals/families wishing to experience wilderness skiing without committing to a longer day. This trip totals 5 miles (round trip) and winds through rolling, wooded terrain. A lunch break at one of the Marcy Dam leantos is included.
- Avalanche Lake – Surrounded by 200 foot cliffs on both sides, this lake is often described as the most scenic in the region. Considered to be the quintessential Adirondack ski tour, this ten mile round trip is available to anyone in decent shape with metal edged skis and basic touring experience.
- Wright Ski Trail – Skinning up Wright Peak and returning down the ski trail is many people’s first introduction to steeper, backcountry skiing. This trip is an Adirondack classic but be forewarned – after this trip, you may become hopelessly addicted!
- Mount Marcy – The granddaddy of trailed backcountry ski trips! A long day (fifteen miles round trip) but as much fun, scenic skiing as one can find anywhere in the East.
- Slides – From the easily accessible Angel Slide (just above Marcy Dam) to the more remote slides on Colden, Gothics and Wolf-Jaws mountains, the choices for slide skiing in the Adirondacks are numerous and varied. Condition dependent, these trips are for experienced skiers that are ready to take on the best the Adirondack backcountry has to offer!
Backcountry Skiing Pricing
Backcountry Tours – $200 for 1, $35/person for each additional person (6 max)
These outings can be half day or full day but are generally less than 8 hours.
Examples: Marcy Dam, Avalanche Lake, Jackrabbit Trail…
Mountain/Slide descents – $250 for 1, $35/person each additional person (4 max)
These skis are generally full day trips and require prior downhill experience.
Examples: Wright Ski Trail, Marcy, Angel Slides, Colden Slides, Gothics Slides…
*Ski Rentals are additional
* We have Guiding Gift Certificates available. Call us to get one sent in the mail today!